Local Area and Things To Do
The thriving city of Bergerac is only 20 kms north of Le Prince Noir – built on the banks of the Dordogne river, this lovely city is steeped in history, much of it springing from the endless vineyards that cloak the surrounding hills as far as the eye can see.
Bergerac also has a heritage of tobacco production, barrel-making and also the industry surrounding the gabarres –the flat-bottomed boat that was used in the tobacco industry – all explained in the numerous museums there for you to visit.
There’s a huge choice of restaurants here, tempting you to sample the culinary delights of the region, and the colourful markets held in the streets of Bergerac several days a week are testimony to the wealth of local produce on offer.
Travel East along the Dordogne valley towards Sarlat and you will encounter the medieval town of Beynac, where you can visit the cliff top chateau. Take a walk up through the winding cobbled streets or drive to the car park at the chateau and experience the breathtaking views of the valley below. Also there’s a labrynth of amazing caves in the limestone cliffs along the banks of the river, a cool place to visit on a hot summer afternoon, and their fascinating archaeological history is often explained in both French & English.
Travel west and you reach the bustling city of Bordeaux , a magnet for the shopaholics – with all the hypermarkets you could wish for! If the beach is more your thing, travel to Arcachon - Don't forget to to check out 'La Dune du Pilat', the largest sand dune in Europe!
Travel North and you reach Perigueux the historical capital of the Dordogne , which dates back 2,000 years.
The choice of activities in the Dordogne is endless, here are just a few:
- Wine-tasting : Many of our local vineyards offer tasting (degustation) and we’ll be happy to recommend where to visit.
- Canoeing: Eymet & Bergerac.
- Golf Courses: Château des Vigiers (17km), Tombebœuf (30km)
- Karting : Our nearest go-kart course is Bergerac Karting
- Boat Trips: Travel on the old flat bottom tobacco boats from Beynac or Bergerac
- Zoo: Visit the white tigers at Zoo du Bassin d'Arcachon or the reptiles at Zoo de Mescoules
- Chateaux: Family fun activities at Château Bridoire or enjoy spectacular views of the valley from the medieval fortress of Beynac
- Water Park: Family-friendly water park with lagoon-style pools and flumes for all ages Aqualand at Bassin d'Arcachon
- Natural Beauty: Enjoy the mineral caves with stalagmites and stalactites at Les Grottes de Maxange or take an enchanting night walk through the beautifully lit forest at Ballades Féeriques 10 minutes from Villeréal.
- For the more adventurous: Airparc Périgord offers an outdoor climbing park through the forest with zip-lines with courses for children 2 years and over, or try your hand at the cliff walk at Marqueyssac
- Le Bugue: A fun filled family day out at the Aquarium Périgord Noir with a crazy golf course, aquarium, mirror maze and aerial climbing all in one spot.
Whatever appeals to you there’s something for everyone in this beautiful area of France, and we provide a comprehensive pack of local information & brochures in each gîte to help you to plan each day of your holiday.
Depending on how you feel when you wake up in the morning – do you relax by the pool? Or go exploring!